PATCH-IT-ALL ....our family blog


Saturday, March 27, 2010

LOOKING FOR SOMEONE?

As you all know I dabble in genealogy. Recently while playing on line I googled my great-grandfather's name and found a link to a genealogy website where someone was looking for information on his family. I shared what I knew and the woman had this photo, above, that she emailed me. What an exciting find! It reminded me of that commercial that has been on TV for Ancestry.com where the woman says, " you don't even have to know what you are looking for, just look"! Kate Spencer North is my great-grandmother, and her father, John North, is my great-great-grandfather. We are not sure of the names of the others in the photo, but all are family, surely. They lived in Syracuse, NY, where Grandma Bessie is from, and Kate is Bessie's mother. This was a very exciting photo for me to come across.

Years ago when I was doing research I sent to England for a birth certificate for Kate. Look at all the great information on this document! Today most of this is available at Ancestry.com. You have to pay to join and then search for the info on line. What a fabulous boon to genealogists! In case you don't already know this, you can go on line to lds.org and download a program called PAF for free. Here you can begin to enter your family genealogy on charts where you just fill in what you know and search for the rest. At new.familysearch.com you can find additional information that the LDS church has compiled. Keep in mind that I have already entered a lot of information, so don't reinvent the wheel. Just ask me!

I want to encourage you all to watch the TV show, Who Do You Think You Are? on NBC, Friday nights. It has been really great! It has followed the ancestry search for Sarah Jessica Parker, Emmit Smith, Lisa Kudrow and Matthew Broderick. If you missed any of them you can see them on line at the above link. You may also have an "on demand" button on your TV remote that lists that show. This coming Friday they will show the episode with Brooke Shields. Check it out!

Love you all!
MOM

No comments: