PATCH-IT-ALL ....our family blog


Saturday, April 9, 2011

Don't Miss the Eagle Cam

 I have been watching this eagle cam in Decorah, Iowa all week. It has been amazing to see the eagles care for their newly hatched chicks. It reminds me of Becky and the twins. I watch as the momma eagle nods off and then wakes herself up again.The little baby chicks flail around with beaks open wanting to be fed.

How the eagle avoids stepping on her babies with those big claws, I have no idea, but she gently settles herself over them and tucks them in against the cold, windy Iowa weather. There are no leaves on the trees yet, and it has been raining all week. You hear other animals in the background on occasion, like geese I am hearing pass by right now.
They say that this nest is five to six feet across and weighs 1-1/2 tons! It is located above a fish hatchery in Decorah, which accounts for why I so often see fish laying in the nest.

Lots of the time the mom just sits there on the nest and there is no action. If this bores you, there are Youtube videos of this as well so you can watch as the chicks hatch, etc. I hope you will tune in and enjoy it! 

No comments: